I am Simon, I am English and I live between Roma and Amalfi in Italy. I have lived in Italy since 1990 and I speak reasonable Italian and French, plus some English!!
I love travelling and exploring, I have worked in Export Sales for more than 30 years which has taken me all over the world, and I like nothing better than travelling around Italy and Europe by car, van or motorbike alone or with friends.
I know Italy fairly well and I love to help others to discover the beauty of Italy and to avoid the many pitfalls. Many visitors love Italy but do not really know how to avoid the difficult bits, as the language and the mentality is very different from the American and North European “norms”.
I also have a small fleet of vehicles that I can rent out to the right people or can use to transport you around. You fly into Roma and wanna get to the Amalfi Coast?? I can take you. You need to transport you and/or your luggage around between hotels? Call me. You wanna try a motorcycle experience?? I can supply a touring bike with a satnav in English all ready to go. You wanna visit the Ducati or Ferrari factory?? No problem. You need a route for a 3 day visit to Sicily or Sardinia? I can supply it.
Here follow some blogs to give you a taste of the Italian experience. Thanks!!
We have found and made an offer on a new property, as threatened!! This small property is fantastic and is perfect for what we need, a small working base in the Amalfi area. The property is a WONDERFUL double garage and is very recent indeed, it looks virtually new, and has all of the permissions and stuff in order too which is very unusual, so it can be used for storage, as a garage, for working or whatever. It has a small bathroom too plus water and electricity.
The location is almost ideal too as it is only 12km (about 15 minutes) from the centre of Amalfi and is in a small residential area with houses on each side. Photos and stuff to follow if our offer is accepted!!!!
Stop press: We have revisited the property today and it would appear that all is in order and we can go ahead. We aim to conclude at about the end of March. Watch this space.
The other fiendish idea is to start an interesting sub-business with spare parts. We intend to purchase some cars and some scooters and strip them for spares, indeed we have already acquired a Honda SH125, the best selling scooter in Italy. The market for spares is an interesting one and possibly mainly in the hands of er not totally honest suppiers. We want to start an honest business with spares and repairs, we already have a Roma base and we are now seeking another in the Amalfi region so that we can operate in both areas.
Photos to follow of our SH125 and then the cars too, as we start operations so watch this space.
Ok so here is the master plan so far:
- I have asked her indoors if I can book the whole hotel PLUS the 3 apartments for the whole week, and (so far so good) she said yes. Poor woman. This event is by personal invitation only and is NOT open to the general public BUT we do plan to run similar events in the future.
- I therefore have 28 rooms in the hotel to host my “guests”, plus the 3 apartments if required.
- My idea is to offer the lucky chosen few an “all-in package price” for the week to include almost everything, B&B plus some happy hours and even some meals too.
- I am looking to organise a wide range of activities, events and visits for the week and everyone will be able to select say 3 activities. Additional events (if we can arrange them) will be charged but more or less at cost.
- I will rent a minibus for the week so that we can provide all local transport free. I suggest that you try to come either by motorbike (free safe parking under the hotel) or by public transport, cos a car will cost you about 30 Euro per dayfor parking!!! From Roma the best way is train to Salerno (2 hours door to door) and then either bus, ferry or minibus to Amalfi centre. The hotel is then only a 10 minute stroll.
- I need to plan carefully so I need your yes or no asap please and I will then ask you for a non-refundable deposit for every room, to ensure that you will really come.
- We will organise trips to Pompei, Caserta, Thermal Baths and Underground Naples for sure. Other activities will be organised depending on the weather we have that week, for instance a boat trip and motorcycle testing. My Raptor 700 Quad and TMax 530 will be available.
More to follow very soon, watch this space………
Ok here we go, I have the GoPro 5 and I intend to make some trips along this stunning coast and show you the beauty of this area……please let me know what you think.
Please enjoy the trips…..here is the first one, from Amalfi along the coast to Positano. The GoPro is mounted onto my Yamaha TMax 530, please let me know what you think.
The Yamaha TMax is the original big scooter (to be honest a motorbike dressed as a scooter) and has been produced since 2001 in Japan. Yamaha have sold over 200,000 examples and today it sells as strongly as ever. I remember that when the sales reached 100,000 Yamaha announced that 80,000 bikes had been sold in Italy, so 80% of the total world sales are in Italy!! And the main sales area is Roma.
Today the TMax remains king of the Roman streets and even a 10 year old example still sells for 4,000 Euro and a new one today costs 13,500 Euro, as much as a small car. I know that these scooters are much less sought after in the UK so we recently managed to find a stunning white example, 2015 and only about 6,000km and 3 services, so we could not resist!!
This lovely bike is completely standard and looks brand new.
Yesterday I received a call from a friend here in Roma asking if I was interested to help. Her friend had called her from Milano for a contact with a fast motorbike so she put me in contact. The question was if I could collect a young lady from Rome Fiumicino Airport at 2150 and take her quickly to the RAI TV station in Roma???
Of course I accepted the job so at 2100 I was waiting at the airport outside Terminal 1 with my lovely (and very fast) Yamaha MT10 plus a rucksack with a spare helmet, gloves and jacket plus a bottle of water for our guest. The lady turned out to be a young and very talented singer called Simona Severini and the hurry was that she was performing in Milano and then very soon afterwards on RAI TV here in Roma.
My navigator was programmed for Via Asiago 10 and luckily at that time the traffic was not heavy and the weather lovely, warm and no wind. So very quickly and ahead of schedule Simona was delivered safely to her destination. All good!!!!